Thursday, February 26, 2015

Coffee! And Why it's Good for You!

   So as a newbie to the coffee addict world, I'm dedicating this blog post to the benefits of it. I used to never understand it, it was so bitter and people were zombies without it. Then one day, after many years of being a barista, I finally found a coffee drink I could tolerate on occasion. Three weeks later, here I am, sucking the liquid goodness down to function. At first I was slightly upset for getting away from black tea (it's so healthy for you!) but it just doesn't pack the same punch as coffee for me. My newest problem? I like the fancy-frilly flavorful sugary latte variety. But I'm experimenting to find the healthiest way to deal with this new addiction!
   Coffee has a ton of antioxidants. These antioxidants fight against free radicals in the body who are on a war path of destruction to your cells. The list is long, so I'll summarize in a picture!


Those antioxidants are the things in coffee helping to prevent all those diseases. Coffee also boosts your metabolism. Now most of you may not be drinking it only for the health benefits but more for the ZING it gives you. Coffee has also been shown to not only increase energy, but to make a person more alert and focused. Ingested 1-2 hours before exercise, it has a super effect on your performance.
   Now with anything good for you, there is a bad side. Coffee can increase anxiety levels if you are already an anxious person. It can interfere with sleep cycles, and it can raise your blood pressure, especially if you already have high blood pressure. Most experts and doctors agree that 5-6 cups a day should be the limit. Personally, I don't know how you drink that much coffee, but if you think in serving sizes, a Venti Coffee would be 2 1/2 servings in one cup, so I suppose some people would have no problem exceeding a safe and healthy amount of coffee!
    Also, jut to clarify, by coffee, I mean the black and plain variety. Having a latte, cappuccino, mocha, etc changes things. Now you're adding milk, syrup (SUGAR) and calories. Am I hating? NOPE. I'm on a mission to make a healthy mocha that tastes good but doesn't kill my macros and calories for the day. Use skim milk, and have it as plain as you can. This is my struggle- I love the flavors! But I am training myself to enjoy coffee flavor and not simply mask it. Maybe in a month I can drink plain coffee with just a bit of creamer but until then I'm on the espresso train!
   Keep your eyes peeled on my fb and instagram accounts for my healthy-espresso approved recipes! Also try almond and coconut milk instead of regular. Try new things!! I am :D



No comments:

Post a Comment